Skip to main content

Maker's Mark

I almost skipped this stop. I was afraid it would be too sterile and it’s a bit out of the way. It was worth it, though (and we got to see a Foodland! I haven't seen one of those in years)

It can be difficult to find as the entrance has changed. Upon arriving, you pull up to a parking lot across a driveway from a mansion. I read somewhere that they don’t have any outside events on site which surprised me because I could imagine people would want this
for weddings. I walked inside and got my ticket for the next tour which, thankfully, was in ten minutes. I perused the rooms and grounds outside while I waited.
 
The tour itself winds through the different buildings on the distillery grounds which, at times, feels like a small village. You don’t actually see where the fermentation and distillation occur like at the other sites, but you get an explanation of the process while standing in a loud demonstration room. I would have preferred to hear the explanation outside before we entered.

I liked the different features that were unique to a distillery. At Maker’s, it was learning about their special aging process using specially treated wooden staves. This is how Maker’s 46 and Private Select are made.

This was one of my favorite tastings. We got to try five quality products in a comfortable setting. My only regret is not buying a bottle of the Private Select Tasting Panel Edition before I left. I was hesitant to settle on one so early in the trip and I was in a hurry to get to Wild Turkey before it closed. In retrospect, though, that was my favorite.



If I were in the area again I would certainly stop by Maker’s Mark but I wouldn’t pay for the tour. I know now that I like the varieties offered so I wouldn’t need the tasting. I’d get to enjoy the best part, walking through the grounds, for free on my way to the gift store to pick up a bottle of Private Select.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Whiskey Drive Review

When I started planning my distillery drive, I didn’t find many lists that reviewed the distilleries as in-depth as I would have liked. So, I pieced together what I could find and decided that when I was done, I would write the review that I wished I had. This review will cover the ten distilleries (five on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail) that I visited over three days. Though I wasn’t able to hit them all, I hope this can be helpful for anyone else thinking about a similar trip. 

Prichard's

I hadn’t heard of Prichard’s before, but their original location in Kelso wasn’t too far from Jack Daniel’s so we decided to stop and maximize our time in Southern Tennessee. We parked in a small lot in front of the little school house and walked inside. Two other people were waiting for a tour so once we got there, the staff got the four of us started together. The tour started with a video of Prichard’s history and then a run through of all the products (mostly rum) they offer. The variety was impressive but also a little overwhelming. It was quite the contrast after some of the distilleries we had visited that only produced one product that was differentiated by the time it spent in a barrel. Next, we walked to the bottling room and then the small garage where distillation occurs. It was cool to see what production looked like on such a small scale after some of the giants that I had seen throughout the week. We finished up with a free tasting where we got to choose four of

Buffalo Trace

There were many similarities between this tour and Barton’s. Both are owned by Sazerac who keeps the tour and tasting free (and therefore can’t be included on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, as they require members to charge, unfortunately). Both offer multiple types of tours. Both were our first tour of the day and featured the best tour guides I had throughout the trip. We arrived and made the short walk from the parking lot to the visitor center. The lot is pretty big and was getting very full by the time we left so I imagine it isn’t always as convenient as we found it. This was our first tour of the day and, as I’m a bit eager, we got there before the gift center opened. Thankfully this wasn’t a problem as I really enjoyed walking around and looking at the old buildings. This distillery had some of the beauty of Woodford Reserve and Maker’s Mark with the slightly more industrial feel of Jack Daniel’s. After the walk, we went inside to start our tour. As with Amanda at Barton’