Skip to main content

Prichard's

I hadn’t heard of Prichard’s before, but their original location in Kelso wasn’t too far from Jack Daniel’s so we decided to stop and maximize our time in Southern Tennessee. We parked in a small lot in front of the little school house and walked inside. Two other people were waiting for a tour so once we got there, the staff got the four of us started together.

The tour started with a video of Prichard’s history and then a run through of all the products (mostly rum) they offer. The variety was impressive but also a little overwhelming. It was quite the contrast after some of the distilleries we had visited that only produced one product that was differentiated by the time it spent in a barrel.

Next, we walked to the bottling room and then the small garage where distillation occurs. It was cool to see what production looked like on such a small scale after some of the giants that I had seen throughout the week. We finished up with a free tasting where we got to choose four of their many products to try. I personally wasn’t a fan of any but it was still fun to see what all was available.


I wouldn’t recommend the drive to Kelso simply for Prichard’s, but if you have some extra time and want to see the other end of the production spectrum before or after Jack Daniel’s, it’s not too far out of the way and it’s free. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodford Reserve

You get the feel for what Woodford Reserve is going to be as you drive past the fence-lined rolling pastures leading to the visitor center. It’s no surprise that this is the whiskey with a Kentucky Derby bottle. The visitor center is small and classy. There was a fire going in the fireplace even though it was eighty degrees outside. I signed in to my tour and browsed a bit while I waited. The gift shop has the usual items with some unique pricey options on top. There’s even a 375ml bottle of specially blended rye (?) on the shelf that you can only buy there. The tour starts out by walking to a bus that takes you down the short hill to the actual distillery. No other buildings looked like these. The stonework was unique from the distilleries that I saw and visually impressive. I snapped a few quick shots while we were herded into the fermentation room. There was a short presentation on the different aspects that go into the whiskey-making process along with some words on what m

American Whiskey Drive Review

When I started planning my distillery drive, I didn’t find many lists that reviewed the distilleries as in-depth as I would have liked. So, I pieced together what I could find and decided that when I was done, I would write the review that I wished I had. This review will cover the ten distilleries (five on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail) that I visited over three days. Though I wasn’t able to hit them all, I hope this can be helpful for anyone else thinking about a similar trip.