Skip to main content

American Whiskey Drive Review

When I started planning my distillery drive, I didn’t find many lists that reviewed the distilleries as in-depth as I would have liked. So, I pieced together what I could find and decided that when I was done, I would write the review that I wished I had. This review will cover the ten distilleries (five on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail) that I visited over three days. Though I wasn’t able to hit them all, I hope this can be helpful for anyone else thinking about a similar trip. 

I’ll include three sections. The first is an overview of the drive and some reflections on the trip overall. After that will be my own profile of each distillery. Click on the link next to the distillery name for a more detailed discussion of our visit. Finally, I’ll include a few lists of top distilleries by category.

Also, probably obvious but I'm receiving no compensation from anyone for writing this up.

The Drive Overall

First, it’s important to point out that all of our visits were done on weekdays and many were early in the day. Most tour guides told us that crowds could get much larger on weekends so, if you’re trying
to hit a lot of stops, go on weekdays if possible.

Another regret, along with not buying the Maker’s Mark, was not visiting Willett. It’s my favorite Rye and yet somehow, I forgot to plan it into our itinerary. Worst of all was that we drove right past it while we were in Bardstown visiting Barton’s and Heaven Hill. Guess I’ll just have to go back and visit again.

I was disappointed that the distilleries didn’t give us more information to take with us from the tasting. Jack Daniels was the only one that had a paper with notes that I could take away. I understand that places need to get you through quick but more interactive tools would have helped me remember what I liked about each whiskey that I tried.

Some fun trends: Every tour in Kentucky told us about how they allow pictures everywhere on their tour with either a direct or an indirect statement that others don’t. Yet only Jack Daniel’s and George Dickel didn’t allow pictures at some points. Also, every tour guide had two names…

Now for the distilleries. I won’t get too into the qualities of the whiskeys themselves as it would take up a lot of space, I’m not a great taster, and my purpose was to try them, not rate them.

Barton’s 1792 (Click here for more info)

Click and drag above to view the 360 image

300 Barton Rd. Bardstown, KY 40004
Highlight: The tour. My favorite tour of the whole trip.
Lowlight: The guard loudly, purposefully, waking my wife up when we pulled into the gate.
Tour (Bushel to Bottle): My favorite tour we went on. Being the only people on the tour may have given us more access/interaction than if we were in a big group. A lot of walking and stairs.
Tasting: One of my least favorites, but it was free. I forgot to write down which whiskeys we tasted but I wasn’t a big fan. The coffee and cream liquor was great though
Value: Free, no complaints there.           
Ambiance: Nothing beautiful but I enjoyed walking around the area and smelling the grains in the air.
Freebies: You get to take home a bung stamped with the date of your tour.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: Standard. They had t-shirts, whiskey, candles, cups, coasters.
Definitely Go If: You want value and are most interested in how whiskey is made.
Definitely Avoid If: The tasting and/or seeing beautiful things is really important to you.

Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center (Click here for more info)

Click and drag above to view the 360 image

1311 Gilkey Run Road Bardstown, KY 40004
Highlight: Focused tasting experience.
Lowlight: None
Tour: No tour, just tasting
Tasting (Connoisseur Experience): Pricey ($20) but you get what you pay for. I tasted five whiskeys, one of which was 25 years old and meant to show the group how age doesn’t always equal quality. Otherwise, I got what I wanted out of this stop: tasting quality whiskeys.
Value: A little on the pricey side. They were good whiskeys but $20 was steep for no tour.               
Ambiance: One of the best. The set-up in the tasting room was classy. The building and grounds are welcoming.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: Extensive gift shop with a nice educational area to read through at your own pace.
Freebies: Cardboard coaster and the glass from the tasting.
Definitely Go If: You really just want a tour with a side of mini-museum.
Definitely Avoid If: You only want a tour of a distillery.


Click and drag above to view the 360 image

3350 Burks Spring Rd, Loretto, KY 40037
Highlight: Beautiful Grounds
Lowlight: None
Tour: 1.5 hours total. The grounds are beautiful so that’s a plus. You don’t get to see as much of the actual process as at the other distilleries. You’ll hear about it throughout the walk, though. A lot of walking but few steps.
Tasting: We got to taste five of their whiskeys: Unaged, Maker’s Mark, 46, Barrel Proof, and the Private Select Tasting Panel.
Value: For $12, I would say this was one of the best values. Decent tour and great tasting.            
Ambiance: I almost forgot I was at a distillery. Seemed more like a wedding venue.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: Standard gift shop at the end of the tour. You can dip your own bottle if you buy one there.
Freebies: A Maker’s Mark label…
Definitely Go If: You want to see something beautiful, learn a bit about whiskey, and have a good tasting.
Definitely Avoid If: You want to get up close with the distillation process.


Click and drag above to view the 360 image

1417 Versailles Rd, Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
Highlight: View of the Kentucky River
Lowlight: None
Tour: A little under an hour. This was one of my least favorite. A bus drives you to the different locations and there wasn’t as much to see at each stop. Not much walking but a lot of steps.
Tasting: I wasn’t a huge fan but that’s probably because I’m not a big fan of Wild Turkey. We tried Russel Single Barrel, Rare Breed Barrel Proof, Russel’s 6 Year Rye, and American Honey.
Value: Decent value for $10, if you’re a fan of Wild Turkey Whiskey.        
Ambiance: The distillery tour felt sterile and corporate. The visitor center is relaxed.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: The visitor center and gift shop have a great view of the Kentucky River. I stood by the fence for a while after my tour and thought about all the great whiskeys that I had tasted throughout the day.
Freebies: A large Wild Turkey glass
Definitely Go If: You really want a Wild Turkey tasting and glass.
Definitely Avoid If: You have other distillery tours that you’re doing and don’t care much about the tasting.


Click and drag above to view the 360 image

113 Great Buffalo Trace, Frankfort, KY 40601
Highlight: Freddie, our tour guide.
Lowlight: None
Tour (Trace Tour): A little under an hour and a half. For the sake of our schedule, we did the most basic Trace Tour. We also didn’t need the whole behind-the-scenes deal since we were seeing so many other distilleries. Nevertheless, we got some unique information that we didn’t hear on any other tour. And our tour guide, Freddie, was by far the highlight. A decent amount of walking but no steps on this tour until the end (where there’s an elevator).
Tasting: Like Barton’s (who is also owned by Sazerac), this wasn’t the most extensive tasting, but it was free. Buffalo Trace might be my favorite bottom-shelf whiskey. Eagle Rare and the chocolate liquor were both good too.
Value: Free. Excellent value. I’d go again for one of the other tours for sure.                                     
Ambiance: This was in the top three for me alongside Maker’s Mark and Woodford Reserve. I liked getting to walk around before our tour started. The buildings have a nice old yet well-maintained feel to them.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: Essentially just a large gift shop. They had some selections here that I didn’t see anywhere else, though.
Freebies: Tour and tasting.
Definitely Go If: You want a free tour and decent tasting along with a walk around an appealing distillery.
Definitely Avoid If: You really care about the tasting.


Woodford Reserve (Click here for more info)

Click and drag above to view the 360 image

7855 McCracken Pike, Versailles, KY 40383
Highlight: Unique architecture.
Lowlight: You can only walk around the actual distillery on the tour. I would have loved more time for pictures afterwards.
Tour (Distillery Tour): Tour took an hour and fifteen minutes. Even if you’re seeing multiple distilleries, I’d recommend Woodford Reserve for its uniqueness. The stonework is impressive and there’s no other distillery like it. The wooden fermentation cylinders are rustic and we got to try some of the mash from one. Finally, the pot stills are pieces of art in themselves. They were the only ones I saw throughout the whole drive. It made me want to make plans for an Ireland/Scotland trip (though I hear the Irish distilleries aren’t much to see?). There was some walking and stairs, though an elevator was provided.
Tasting: This was one of the worst values, especially with the $14 price tag. While I love Distiller’s Select and Double Oaked, I expected more for what I paid, compared to other tours and tastings. I hear good things about their new rye whiskey and would have loved to sample it.
Value: Mediocre. I’m glad I took the tour but with the limited tasting and $14 cost, I doubt I would go back again.        
Ambiance: Beautiful. Even the drive up to the distillery is appealing. They’re going for the la-ti-da market and they succeed.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: This is the fancy gift shop. If you’re looking for a whiskey bow tie or overpriced (more than others) glass, this is the place to get it.
Freebies: None.
Definitely Go If: You want to see something unique.
Definitely Avoid If: You want value and don’t care about uniqueness.


Click and drag above to view the 360 image

1224 Bonds Mill Rd, Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
Highlight: None
Lowlight: None
Tour: I only did the tasting at Four Roses. We were short on time and the tour was limited by construction so I figured this was the one to skip.
Tasting: Decent tasting. $5. I got to try their Yellow Label, Small Batch, and Single Barrel. I enjoyed learning about their ingredients and recipe process.
Value: Good value for a tasting and a glass.         
Ambiance: Relaxed, smaller than some of the others.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: Pretty standard. There were a few limited bottlings that were only available there.
Freebies: Four Roses glass.
Definitely Go If: If you like Four Roses and/or just want a quick, affordable tasting.
Definitely Avoid If: You want an in-depth tour.


Click and drag above to view the 360 image

1950 Cascade Hollow Rd, Tullahoma, TN 37388
Highlight: Scenery and seeing their version of the Lincoln County process
Lowlight: None
Tour: Basic tour seeing the inner workings of their fairly small distillery. Decent amount of walking and stairs.
Tasting: Pretty good for $10. I got their White, 8, 12, and Barrel Select. The set-up was great too. I wished I didn’t have to leave.
Value: Above average. Good tour and tasting for $10      
Ambiance: I felt like I was visiting my family out in the country. The atmosphere was laid back and welcoming.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: The usual plus a 17 year bottle that’s apparently only available in some places.
Freebies: None
Definitely Go If: You want to see a full distillery tour with a tasting and don’t want the Jack Daniels crowds.
Definitely Avoid If: You would have to drive far out of your way and aren’t a big fan of George Dickel.


Click and drag above to view the 360 image

133 Lynchburg Hwy, Lynchburg, TN 37352
Highlight: Tasting and a thorough tour
Lowlight: None
Tour (Angel’s Share Distillery Tour): Thorough and interactive. We learned about the Lincoln County Process, saw some Jack Daniels history, and saw the ins and outs of the distilling process. Walking and stairs included.
Tasting: I did one of the more expensive tours/tastings offered and it was worth it. We tried “27 Gold”, “Sinatra”, Single Barrel Select, Single Barrel Rye, and Single Barrel: Barrel Proof.
Value: Pricey ($22) but worth it. If you’re going to splurge, this is one place to do it.
Ambiance: I’ve seen it described as Disney World for whiskey fans. I’d agree and disagree. It wasn’t in that it actually didn’t feel too overdone to me. I was expecting over-the-top when I hear that description. It was in the sense that it was clearly a tourist hot spot and everything seemed very professional and well-done.
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: The visitor center has a walk-through of whiskey and Jack Daniels history. The gift center is somewhat odd. You can buy a variety of whiskeys on site but any other trinket-type items are in various stores a short walk away in Lynchburg.
Freebies: None
Definitely Go If: You love Jack Daniels or you’re in the area and want to see what the big deal is.
Definitely Avoid If: You don’t like crowds.

Prichard’s (Click for more info)
11 Kelso-Smithland Rd, Kelso, TN 37348
Highlight: None
Lowlight: None
Tour: Short walk through the garage where Prichard’s equipment is located.
Tasting: Free, and there are a lot of options (most of which are rum) that you get to pick four of.
Value: You can’t beat free but there isn’t too much to see.
Ambiance: Start-up
Visitor Center/Gift Shop: It’s all in one at the Kelso location. The facility is an old school house. The tasting and some items for sale are located inside the main room when you walk in.
Freebies: None
Definitely Go If: You’re interested in seeing a distillery that’s in the process of being created from the ground up.
Definitely Avoid If: You’re short on time and want to see a well-known spot.

My Top 5's


Top 5 Distillery Tours (Keeping in mind I didn’t do every tour offered at every distillery)
1. Barton’s 1792
2. Jack Daniel’s
3. Woodford Reserve
4. Maker’s Mark
5. George Dickel

Top 5 Tastings
1. Jack Daniel’s (Angel’s Share Distillery Tour)
2. Heaven Hill (Connoisseur Experience)
3. Maker’s Mark
4. George Dickel
5. Buffalo Trace

Top 4 Beautiful Settings
1. Maker’s Mark
2. Woodford Reserve
3. Buffalo Trace
4. Jack Daniels


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woodford Reserve

You get the feel for what Woodford Reserve is going to be as you drive past the fence-lined rolling pastures leading to the visitor center. It’s no surprise that this is the whiskey with a Kentucky Derby bottle. The visitor center is small and classy. There was a fire going in the fireplace even though it was eighty degrees outside. I signed in to my tour and browsed a bit while I waited. The gift shop has the usual items with some unique pricey options on top. There’s even a 375ml bottle of specially blended rye (?) on the shelf that you can only buy there. The tour starts out by walking to a bus that takes you down the short hill to the actual distillery. No other buildings looked like these. The stonework was unique from the distilleries that I saw and visually impressive. I snapped a few quick shots while we were herded into the fermentation room. There was a short presentation on the different aspects that go into the whiskey-making process along with some words on what m

Prichard's

I hadn’t heard of Prichard’s before, but their original location in Kelso wasn’t too far from Jack Daniel’s so we decided to stop and maximize our time in Southern Tennessee. We parked in a small lot in front of the little school house and walked inside. Two other people were waiting for a tour so once we got there, the staff got the four of us started together. The tour started with a video of Prichard’s history and then a run through of all the products (mostly rum) they offer. The variety was impressive but also a little overwhelming. It was quite the contrast after some of the distilleries we had visited that only produced one product that was differentiated by the time it spent in a barrel. Next, we walked to the bottling room and then the small garage where distillation occurs. It was cool to see what production looked like on such a small scale after some of the giants that I had seen throughout the week. We finished up with a free tasting where we got to choose four of